Friday, December 23, 2011

The Carlson House, I Bet (Unidentified Glass-Plate Image)

Carlson House, spring
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


This house is not identified in any way by the photographer, but have we not seen this same house in winter, identified as the Carlson house? Could there be two such houses in Hobart?

The trees don't look fully leafed out. Those may be early spring leaves, or the last of the shriveled fall leaves. But if it's fall, the Carlsons have done a remarkably good job of raking their yard.

Now, is that little dirt path out front Michigan Avenue, for goodness' sake, or a pedestrian walkway that parallels it?

2 comments:

Debbie Maxwell said...

I am researching my town in a similar way that you have researched Hobart/Ainsworth. I just found a new source. My nephew, from HOBART, is a geographer. He saw a map of the town I am in from 1936 done by Sanborn Map Company and said that the Sanborn map company is still in existence. I just googled Sanborn Maps Indiana and found a bunch for Hobart from about 1893. Look at some Sanborn map examples, and you will see how extraordinary they are. I would do some more research on it for you, but I had such a good time finding my town that I thought you might have fun, too!

Ainsworthiana said...

Thank you for the tip! I will have to look into getting those somehow.