Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dacre Nelson and a Corner of Tonagel's

I received this photo at the same time and from the same source as the cabin Cozy Camp photo, but neglected to post it.

Dacre Nelson outside Tonagel's
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of a friend.


Here we have Dacre Nelson in 1939, standing outside Tonagel's grocery store. And would you believe this is the first glimpse I've ever had of Tonagel's when it was Tonagel's? Nowadays, it's Sharp School Services.

Notice the bay window behind Dacre — the present-day building has bay windows too, but they are different in design, and none of them appear as close to the corner as the one in the picture.

♦    ♦    ♦

When I wrote my first Tonagel post in November 2009, the 1940 census hadn't been made available yet. I have updated that post to reflect the information from 1940.

Tonagel 1940 Census
(Click on image to enlarge)
From Ancestry.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At some point it became Stephic School Supply. A Miss Stephic taught at Fegely Middle school when I attended in 83-86. My son had her as well in 2015... the year I believe she retired