Saturday, November 3, 2012

Here's Something About Harry

There I was, when I should have been writing something relevant, instead poking around trying to find out where Harry and Mable Schavey Breyfogle have their final resting place. By chance I came across something that actually ties Harry to Ainsworth … well, "south of Ainsworth," anyway — this, from the Valparaiso Vidette-Messenger of May 5, 1955:

Ella Cole death notice

So I checked Ancestry.com for the Coles. The 1910 Census shows Edward and Ella Cole on a farm in Winfield township; with them lives Harry Breyfogle, an orphan boy of eight, whose birthplace is unknown. The reason my direct searches on "Breyfogle" didn't turn him up is because the enumerator's handwriting caused Ancestry.com's indexer to misread his last name.

I still can't find Harry in the 1920 Census. By the 1930 Census, he was giving his birthplace as Indiana.

Here is the Cole land that lay just below the boundary between Winfield and Ross Townships, as shown in the 1939 Plat Book, with my attempt to mark the 80 acres that lay adjacent in Ross Township:

Cole farm
(Click on image to enlarge)

The Coles were thus neighbors of Sam and Carrie Campbell, whose son Claude married Bertha Nolte, who was born and raised in that tragic house east of Ainsworth. Another Ainsworth connection!

♦    ♦    ♦

… And there went all the time I had for writing. I wish I were one of those people to whom research and writing come easily, but I'm not. I follow one tangent, and waste two hours. Hence all those posts of unidentified people photographed in unknown places on unknown dates: that doesn't take two hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you know that you have inspired me to research the town that I live in. I have the same problem as you--I go to look for something specific, and the next thing I know, I have spent 3 hours on something else that is equally as interesting! You do a great job, and you are an inspiration! Keep up the great work!
Debbie Maxwell