Monday, May 31, 2010

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: Bittersweet Nightshade

BittersweetNightshade
(Click on image to enlarge)

Every summer for years I've seen this little flowering vine growing by a red cedar stump in my field, and I never knew what it was called until I got the Wildflower Guide. According to Lawrence Newcomb, the red berries it will eventually produce are "somewhat poisonous."

♦    ♦    ♦

I finally got the whole garden planted, including 71 tomato plants. I'm tired! And now the mosquitoes are all grown up and ready to bite, so the fun's over. Sometimes I think I'd like to go live in a little house in Hobart where I wouldn't have to work so hard (as aging Ainsworthians in the past often did). But then I remember what living in a dense neighborhood was like, and I come to my senses. It's easier to deal with work and mosquitoes than neighbors and claustrophobia.

1 comment:

Janice said...

71 tomato plants! I'm in awe--that's a lot of tomatoes. We find that everyone we know who is from the Midwest plants at least one tomato plant (it's in the genes) but 71--that's amazing!