Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hobart Then and Now: Main Street, Looking South from Front

Circa 1920s(?) and 2014*

Main Street looking south from near Front.
Main St. looking S from Front 2014
(Click on images to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


Sorry, there's no date on the older image, and I can only roughly guess, based on the cars, that it's sometime in the 1920s. We're on Main Street near Front, looking south toward downtown. First on the left (in the older image) is the second St. Bridget Catholic Church (now gone); in the next block south is the Pedersen building (also gone).

Along the right edge of the photo, and reaching nearly to its top, you can see the steeple of the second Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church on the west side of Main at Second (gone, gone, gone).


______________________________
*No, I did not invent a time machine. This is a 2014 do-over of a 2010 post that I got wrong. My thanks to Eva for pointing out my mistake.

No comments: