Friday, January 26, 2024

Bad Times at the Black Cat: Dead Man Renting

On the morning of November 10, 1961, Bill Reed of the Black Cat motel discovered that one of his guests had checked out of this world.

2024-01-26. 1961-11-16 Gazette, Police Files
(Click on image to enlarge)


The deputy coroner, Dr. Warren H. Pike, Jr., had grown up in the Harper-Carlson-Grabowski-Pike house. His father was Warren Pike, Sr. At some point, after I've learned to tell them apart, I shall have to write about them more. But not today, because I have just finished up 2.5 weeks of foster puppies with diarrhea, and I am tired.


The Black Cat also features in the story in the next column about a truck driver taking his license plate and leaving the truck (if I understand it correctly) after having lost some of his wheels.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Love the Black Cat stories, if I ever woke up in the 1950's that would be one of the first places I would want to see!

Not entirely related, but there's a building right down the road I've always been interest in... 1429 E. 37th. It's been various bars (most recently The Depot) throughout the decades, and I was told by quite a few old timers and the former owners of the building that way back in the day (20s & 30s?) it was a brothel.