Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Yet Another View of the Pennsy Bridge

All my research time is still going to puppies, so here's a research-free post.

2022-03-08. Pennsy bridge from Ray 1a
(Click on images to enlarge)

We've previously seen views from about the same location, but not with those people fishing on the riverbank, and certainly not with that kid in the foreground all dressed up in a white sailor middy and knee pants. It must be Sunday.

The verso carries a heartwarming message:

2022-03-08. Pennsy bridge from Ray 1b

The year in the postmark is not quite legible — "191"-something, a number with round outlines; could be any round year between 1910 and 1919.

I have no clue who Ray was. He gives his return address as "c/o Ira B. Wyant" in Hobart. I can't identify any such person in Hobart.[1]

_______________
[1] There was an Albert B. Wyant, aka "Abe", but I have no reason to think this was the same person.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I found an Ira B. Wyant in the 1940 census. He was living in East Chicago then and was born in Pennsylvania in 1887. There is a PA connection on the postcard, so I guess Ira must have lived in Hobart for a few years before heading to East Chicago?

Ainsworthiana said...

I think you found him!