Friday, August 2, 2019

Wood Family Reunion, 1923

I haven't paid a lot of attention to Deep River's famous pioneer family of John and Hannah (Pattee) Wood, since I figured the Deep River museum people had them covered; but a few months ago I acquired an album containing photographs of some of the Woods and their relations, so I am going to look into the family more closely as I get into the album. And I might as well start with the annual Wood family reunion in August 1923.

2019-08-02. Wood, News, 8-23-1923
(Click on image to enlarge)
Hobart News, Aug. 23, 1923.


The eldest relative, the 87-year-old Jane, had been born Mary Jane Dizard on March 15, 1836, and on October 2, 1857 had married George Wood (the third son of John and Hannah Wood, who came to Woodvale/Deep River ca. 1836 and built the mill that is now part of Deep River County Park). Mary and George's children were Eugene, William H., Anna E., and Sarah J.,[1] who was known as "Nettie" per the 1910 Census.

The two-month-old Bettie Mae Gunderson was the great-granddaughter of Dr. Oliver Wood, the youngest son of John and Hannah.

Mary Wood Vincent was their daughter. She had married Dr. Alonzo Vincent in 1869.

Olive Wood was known to many older folks around here, as she taught for years in Ross Township schools. She was the daughter of William and Martha Wood, and thus Mary Jane (Dizard) Wood's granddaughter.

If the William Wood residence eventually became the Olive Wood residence, then it is still standing just west of the entrance to Deep River County Park and is now known as the Mroz house; but whether that boulder was ever placed, and if so, is still there, I do not know.

♦    ♦    ♦

I just realized that yesterday, August 1, was the tenth anniversary of this blog. How time flies! I feel very fortunate to have this work to occupy me; without it, I might have to get a life.

_______________
[1] T.H. Ball (ed.), Lake County, Indiana, 1884: An Account of the Semi-Centennial Celebration of Lake County, September 3 and 4, with Historical Papers and Other Interesting Records Prepared for This Volume (Crown Point: Lake County Star Office, 1884) ("Lake County 1884").

6 comments:

tomifi said...

alonzo vincent was the son of martin vincent who was the first owner of the Sullivan farm.

Ainsworthiana said...

So the Vincent school was named after Martin and Mercy Vincent. It's all connected, isn't it!

the history midget said...

Congrats on your 10th anniversary! This is a wonderful, informative, and entertaining blog. Keep up the good work!

Ainsworthiana said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I am a direct descendent of John and Hannah Wood. Descending through son Oliver.
Oliver was my maternal grandmothers great grandfather.
Oliver's Daughter Carlotta (Lottie)
Married George berdine. Their daughter was Bethel (Berdine) Jones. Bethel was my grandmother (Virginia Belle-Jones- Schultz's mother

Ainsworthiana said...

It's nice to hear from you! I think I have photos of Oliver Saunders Wood and Lottie Wood Berdine that I will be posting eventually.