Friday, January 9, 2015

A House on Lincoln Street

Out of the steamer trunk comes this photo:

2015-1-9. sb006-a
(Click on images to enlarge)
Images courtesy of Eldon Harms.


Handwritten notes on the back identify the house, though not the man in front of it.

2015-1-9. sb006-b

I'm guessing the writer was Minnie Rossow Harms, and "Ma & Pa" to her were William and Antonia Rossow.

The stamp box style dates from 1910 to 1930 according to playle.com.

To me, this house looks a great deal like 726 Lincoln Street, with a little remodeling …

2015-1-9. 726

… but we've got a family story that would seem to have 726 Lincoln already occupied by October 1921. I shall be paying close attention to the 1921 newspapers for information about who rents the house, as it's possible for a family story to jump over a few months in another house. [Never mind about all that!] But for now I shall call this house, as well as the man in front of it, unidentified.

4 comments:

Suzi E. said...

My bad...Carbines lived further south a few houses at 756 Lincoln, not 726...sorry for the confusion!

Unknown said...

I have no doubt in my mind that is one and the same house in both photos.

Unknown said...

What I have just been told by someone is, in that first photo, that man standing there is the original owner of that house , I am also being told that e was a nice man and he lived into his 90's , also he was struck and killed by a train. Also what I was told is those houses in that area were pretty much the last of the Victorian era built homes. Which would date the house before 1910.

Ainsworthiana said...

Do you have his name? It would be helpful if you could track down his obituary.