Thursday, March 13, 2014

Grand Trunk Crossing, 1958

While I don't know the location of this crossing, I know it wasn't Ainsworth. That much is obvious from the overpass at the right.

May 12, 1958
(Click on images to enlarge)

But cover up the right side with your hand, suspend your disbelief, and you might think you're looking at the Randolph Street crossing in 1958 … which may have been called the Springman Road crossing back then. Gravel road, no gates, no lights, little traffic; barns and fields, and a steam engine just passing through.

The original is marked "May 12, 1958." I am told that the car in the picture is a 1957 Ford.

♦    ♦    ♦

Ainsworth has had a rash of stopped freight trains lately. Most of the time I don't bother slogging through the snow to photograph any graffiti. And when I do, either the graffiti isn't very good or I can't manage to focus my camera.

Here's Raildog, who says, "Hi Mom."

Raildog 3-10-14

From an intermodal train, we get uninspired scrawlings about a coal train in Jackson, Mississippi …

Jackson MS coal train 2-24-14

… and a sad willow.

Willow 2-24-14

I believe intermodal trains have the second-worst graffiti on the roads.

intermodal

The worst graffiti of all is to be found, or not found, on coal trains.

In other news, work is progressing very slowly.

No comments: