Monday, March 3, 2014

Gateway Motel

During this hiatus, I am going to try to post something weekly (or weakly) so I don't forget how to blog.

And so I present to you the Gateway Motel.

Gateway Motel
(Click on image to enlarge)

It looks as if it's in the middle of nowhere. It was at the junction of U.S. 30 and Broadway, which perhaps was the middle of nowhere at the time. (This postcard wasn't used. If I had to guess at a general timeframe, I'd say late 1950s.) But it had Baity's Motel and Restaurant for a neighbor, if their timelines overlapped.

From the back we learn that this motel offered not only central heat and TV, but private baths. Unlike the Cozy Camp.

Gateway Motel verso

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just noticed your site. Actually Ainsworth Nebraska is "The Middle Of Nowhere" LOL!!!

http://americanfestivalsproject.net/2009/07/10/the-middle-of-nowhere-celebration/

How did Ainsworth Indiana get its name?

Sincerely,

Cliff Ainsworth, purveyor of Ainsworth obscuria

Ainsworthiana said...

Thanks for the link!

The story I've heard, or read, about how this Ainsworth got its name is that the tiny village was called Hickory Top until 1880, when the Grand Trunk Railway came through, they set up a station near the village, named the station "Ainsworth" after some executive with the railway company, and that name took over the whole village.