Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: Corn Speedwell?

Corn Speedwell
(Click on images to enlarge)

I more or less matched this up to Corn Speedwell in Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. Then I went on-line to try to confirm it. All the images brought up by a search for "corn speedwell" showed flowers that were more blue than this. So I don't know.

The plants are low and sprawling; the flowers tiny, less than ¼" across, with three large petals and one small.
Corn Speedwell up close

These photos were taken in my garden. I won't be identifying any woodland flowers or mushrooms this year. Old age has finally caught up with Maya and she doesn't want to go for long walks in the woods anymore; only short walks in civilized places. And I can't go into the woods without a dog.

No comments: