Sunday, April 1, 2012

Railroad Kookery and an Update
(Random Pointless Photo)

Herzog Rail Testing
(Click on image to enlarge)

Railroad maintenance equipment on the Canadian National (fka Grand Trunk Western) tracks. I don't know what they are testing the rails for.

Last night I dreamed I was out in the fields around here somewhere, and I saw that a freight train on the Grand Trunk tracks had developed engine trouble and stopped. The crew were all gathered around the front engine. They had raised its hood and were tinkering underneath it, just as you've seen people do with stopped cars on the side of the road. You wouldn't think there were so many crew members on a train — half a dozen, all dressed like conductors on the South Shore line. But they couldn't get the engine to start, so what they did was just tie ropes to it and start pulling. They put their whole hearts into it, and by golly, they soon got that whole freight train into motion, as they pulled on the ropes, walking, then trotting down the tracks, the train going faster and faster. I said to myself, "I have got to have a picture of this," and I ran home for my camera, but those guys were so fast that by the time I got my camera, the train was just a speck, 'way down the tracks.

♦    ♦    ♦

Thanks to the DeWell family archives, I have been able to add a portrait to the story of the wandering Charles.

No comments: