Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hobart Then and Now: Georgiana and Illinois Streets

A while back, and 2014:*

BB Bale house, Georgiana and Illinois streets
Georgiana and Illinois
(Click on images to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


Yeah, I don't have a date on that top photo, and I'm finding it pretty hard to guess at one. One the one hand, Tabbert's store seems to have hitching posts for horses out front. On the other hand, there are telephone/electrical wires strung all over the place, and a fire hydrant on the street. No vehicles or fashions to help us out.

As for the location … well, after getting it wrong when I first posted this in 2011, and with help from Bonnie's remarks (preserved below) and the 1910 Sanborn map of this area, I think I've finally figured out where the older photo was taken: the photographer stood on Georgiana Street, facing Illinois Street. The focal point seems to be the house (B.B. Bale's, I think), but the camera picked up the side of Tabbert's grocery store, which faced onto Illinois.

♦    ♦    ♦

10/28/11 UPDATE: Well, what do you know — someone did come along and educate me. Here's what Bonnie says: "I can't say too much about the picture but I do know it was Tabbert's Grocery Store where the parking lot is now behind T's Pizza. It faced Illinois St. The store was later owned by one of the Scharbachs. After that it was a laundromat."


_________________________
*This is a 2014 do-over of a 2011 post that I got wrong.

No comments: