Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Bertha Jacoby and the Hobart Animal Shelter

While skimming through the 1950s microfilm for non-Ainsworth reasons,[1] I have been coming across the history of the Humane Society of Hobart, including its organization and the construction of the shelter on Route 130. That is a subject near to my heart — in my 30+ years here in Ainsworth, I have adopted three dogs and a cat from the Humane Society of Hobart; and in the dozen years I have been volunteering as a foster, I suppose I've fostered hundreds of kittens, as well as a few adult cats and some puppies.

A 1959 newspaper article[2] about an "open house" event at the shelter included an off-hand mention that the shelter had been built on several acres of land donated by Bertha Jacoby in 1954. I had never heard that name before, so I thought I'd look into it.

And in the 1950 Plat Book, we do find the Jacoby name on a 28-acre parcel that includes the location of the shelter:

2023-11-14. Jacoby land, 1950 Plat Book

The initial, you'll notice, is J. So I looked for a Bertha Jacoby in conjunction with someone whose name begins with J, and found …

2023-11-14. Jacoby, 1940 Census
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image from Ancestry.com.


… Joseph and Bertha Jacoby, living in Gary and running their own real estate firm.

They were both immigrants: Bertha from Austria,[3] Joseph from Hungary. I can't find information on when each came to this country, but Bertha was naturalized in 1938.

2023-11-14. Jakoby, Bertha - naturalization
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image from Ancestry.com.


In 1942, we find them listed as the owners of those 28 acres on S.R. 130:

2023-11-14. County Tax List, Hammond-Times, March 23 1942, p. 62
(Click on image to enlarge)
"County Tax List," Hammond Times, 23 Mar. 1942.


In 1947, Joseph died. His obituary portrays an interesting man:

2023-11-14. Jakoby, Joseph - Obituaries, Hammon Times, 13 Nov. 1947
(Click on image to enlarge)
"Obituaries," Hammond Times, 13 Nov. 1947.


From his death certificate, it appears that Jacoby/Jakoby was an Americanized version of Jakubik.

The 1950 Census shows the 53-year-old Bertha living in Gary, running her own real estate and insurance agency.

After that I don't find much information about her — aside from a brief mention of her sponsoring a Hungarian refugee in 1955[4] — until her death on March 19, 1972. She was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Gary, according to her death certificate, but although Findagrave.com lists her husband, I can't find a listing for her. I hope she is not lying in an unmarked grave.

So far as I can tell, she had no children.

But what motivated her to donate land to the Humane Society of Hobart? A tax deduction, maybe, for this practical businesswoman? But I'd like to believe that somewhere amidst all her business acumen, there was a soft spot for animals.

_______________
[1] In a few months I hope to be able to return to my Ainsworth focus in this blog. I just have too much going on right now.
[2] "Humane Society of Hobart Open House This Sunday," Gazette, 24 Sept. 1959.
[3] Her death certificate gives France as her birthplace (with the informant being her brother-in-law), but the 1940 and 1950 censuses both state Austria.
[4] "Two Refugees Head For Calumet Area," Hammond Times, 20 Nov. 1955.

No comments: