Sunday, June 18, 2023

Pale Dogwood

I finally got around to trying to identify the shrub that's been taking over my field these last few years. Due to various unfortunate circumstances I wasn't able to mow properly this year, or last, and now about half my property has become an impenetrable thicket of this stuff.

I think it's pale dogwood, also known as swamp dogwood, or blue-fruited dogwood. Cornus obliqua.

2023-06-18 Pale Dogwood
(Click on images to enlarge)

The undersides of the leaves are pale, compared to the upper sides.

2023-06-18 Pale Dogwood leaves

The blossoms are tiny, with multiple blooms in heads. They smell sweet, and the flying things like them.

2023-06-18 Pale Dogwood blossoms 1

2023-06-18 Pale Dogwood blossoms 2

I will have to wait until late summer to see if the blossoms turn into blue berries, the way pale dogwood blossoms are supposed to.


Pale dogwood is a native wildflower, and according to this website, its status in Indiana is "secure." I'll say it's secure! It's more than secure.

And now there's a pair of red-winged blackbirds nesting somewhere among all the pale dogwood in my field. I know because they get upset whenever I walk out there. So I can't mow it down, even though my broken brush mower finally got repaired. But just wait until next March.

No comments: