Thursday, May 25, 2023

Isabella Tiger Moth

2023-05-25. ITM001
(Click on images to enlarge)

2023-05-25. ITM002

2023-05-25. ITM003

With so many Woolly Bear caterpillars around here all the time, you'd think I would have seen an Isabella Tiger Moth before now.

The adult moth has a lifespan of five to ten days. Maybe that has something to do with why I don't see them. The larvae, as far as I can tell, have a very, very long lifespan.

I've been trying to find out why it's called the Isabella Tiger Moth, but no one says anything about that. There's plenty about the folklore around Woolly Bears. "Isabella" is still a mystery to me.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I looked online and it says the Isabella name comes from the Isabella Mountains which seem to be in Nicaragua. The moth is beautiful!