Tuesday, November 15, 2022

"No Athletes, No Musicians!"

This Help Wanted ad appeared in the Hobart Gazette of November 11, 1942.

2022-11-15. 1942-11-12 Gazette, Want Ads
(Click on image to enlarge)

Is that the voice of Carl Krausse I hear, echoing down the years?


Further down the same column, we find an ad placed by Claude Groom of Ainsworth (or thereabouts). A few years ago someone mentioned him to me and I had to admit I did not know the first thing about him. Well, now I know the first thing about him: he sold milk-fed turkeys.

At the top of the middle column, we learn that in Hobart in 1942 you could still rent a house with an outdoor toilet, if you wanted to. On that note, do historians of Hobart (like historians of Munster, where I grew up) know the location of the last outdoor toilet in town?

1 comment:

Heather said...

I like the ad that is selling a roll top desk and a female goat for the same price.