Monday, October 3, 2022

Ainsworth Then and Now: the Sievert Farmhouse

Circa 1942, and 2022:

2022-10-03. Sievert137
2022-10-03. Sievert house from Google street view 2022
(Click on images to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Merrillville-Ross Township Historical Society.


Thank goodness for Google street view, which saves me from having to go park my car on the shoulder-less 69th Ave. or DeKalb Street to get a photo of the old Sievert farmhouse.

Which, it turns out, is probably the old Brown farmhouse, since the county records show 1850 as the year it was built, and that was before the Sieverts came to Ross Township. The earliest record I can find of ownership of that land, from Early Land Sales, Lake County, is its purchase in May of 1844 by Severn Brown, who bought 80 acres constituting the west half of Section 7.

Severn Brown rests in the Chester Cemetery, along with his wife, Elizabeth.

I shall certainly have to write more about the Brown family, as well as the Sievert family, but at present my brain is very, very tired and has taken a leave of absence to rest and recuperate, and I don't know when it will return.

No comments: