Thursday, May 26, 2022

The Foundling of Schererville

I thought I'd have some time to do research this week, but I thought wrong, so here's a story that I don't know anything about. I stumbled across it some time back, and while it has nothing to do with Ainsworth, it intrigued me, as I wondered if somewhere there's a family with a story handed down about how their great-grandfather, as a baby, was found on a porch in Schererville one day in May 1918.

2022-05-26. Mystery at Schererville, Lake County Star, 17 May 1918
(Click on image to enlarge)
Lake County Star (Crown Point, Ind.), 17 May 1918.


I have no idea who this "Mr. Thomas" was who won the fight over the foundling. According to an article in the Crown Point Register that I didn't note the date of ("Found on Door-Step"), Judge McMahan advised that the "baby be cared for without formal adoption for the present, and that if later no trace of its parents could be found, it could then be placed for adoption."

6 comments:

Mandy Haggerty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy Haggerty said...

Hmmm I find this article very interesting. My grandfather's (George Peterson) birth certificate says he was born illegitimately on 05/14/1918 in Ainsworth, Indiana to George Peterson and Theresia Chester. He was later "adopted" by a Mr. Thomas Haggerty and wife Lenore. His name was changed to Donald Haggerty and his birthdate was "changed" to 05/17/1918. I wonder if this article is regarding my grandfather. Could the Mr. Thomas be Mr. Thomas Haggerty?

Ainsworthiana said...

That's an interesting theory! The timing is close. "Last Sunday" as referenced in the article would have been May 12, 1918. I haven't been able to identify "Mr. Thomas." There are a couple of people with that surname buried in a cemetery in Schererville.

Mandy Haggerty said...

Do you have access to that entire paper that you could share with me?

Ainsworthiana said...

No, I found that "Mystery at Schererville" article on the microfilm at the Lake County library in Merrillville and I only printed out that article.

Heather said...

Mandy, There is a Theresa Chester on Find a Grave that photographs graves in the Porter County area. Maybe she is a relative of yours? If you'd like to contact her she lists her email here : https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/49085782