Thursday, November 25, 2021

Chester's Grove

This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for trees.

The Lake County Parks people have been very busy lately around Big Maple Lake, and now the old Chester place has a grove of saplings in what used to be the back and side yard.

2021-11-25. Chester's grove
(Click on images to enlarge)

There is an interesting variety of trees: Kentucky Coffee Tree (I don't know much about trees, I just read the labels):

2021-11-25. Kentucky Coffee Tree

This one is Black Cherry:

2021-11-25. Black Cherry

And this is Ohio Buckeye:

2021-11-25. Ohio Buckeye

And Pin Oak:

2021-11-25. Pin Oak

In another ten or twenty years, I expect, Chester's Grove will be lovely.

Along the gravel road that leads back of the lake, they have planted some Cucumber Trees. I am looking forward to seeing how those turn out.


In other tree news, I discovered a little volunteer oak sapling in my field. From the looks of it, I had run over it with my brush mower last spring (maybe the spring before, too), not even realizing it was there. But now I have marked it so I will never run over it again.

No comments: