Friday, May 24, 2019

Bilobed Looper Moth

Once again: while mowing I find a moth in the grass. Moth has wonderful markings. I search through my 611-page Peterson's Field Guide to Moths and identify said moth … and learn that it is a very common moth with absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Except those wonderful markings.

2019-05-24. Bilobed Looper Moth
(Click on image to enlarge)

Bilobed Looper Moth, also called Stephens' gem.

I couldn't get a clear photo of its wings because they were constantly vibrating.



As a bonus, here's a mysterious creature from the outside of my garage.

2019-05-24. mystery creature

♦    ♦    ♦

5/26/2019 update — My thanks to Suzi E., who identified the mysterious creature as some kind of crane fly.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful wings. The second one was always called "stick bugs" but I have no idea what they're really called. I saw one about 3 times that size in the bathtub once when I lived in Rhode Island. Scared the bejeebers out of me.

Ainsworthiana said...

I would not want to see one three times that size, but now I know it's a crane fly, and they don't bite.