Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Milk House

The story about the new Gruel barn in Monday's post mentioned a plan for a new milk house as well, "built of hollow tile … 34x36 feet." That reminded me that I have a picture I haven't posted yet, which comes from the "John Gruel Farm" envelope found among Lillie Newman Barnes' keepsakes, and which may be of that milk house.

2014-8-27. JohnGruelEnvelope5
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of Diane Barnes.


That looks like hollow tile to me, and I suppose the width could be 34 feet, especially if you were measuring across the center of the interior. Not a positive ID, but possible.

The marvelous new barn is almost completely hidden behind this possible milk house — you can just see the top of the silo on the north side of the barn, and one of the cupolas.

When I was out there last spring photographing the former site of the barn, I took a picture of the shed that now stands approximately where the (possible) milk house stood.

2014-8-27. River Pointe mystery shed

I have spent a lot of time since then trying to convince myself that it's the same building, just with a lot of remodeling. I haven't quite succeeded, but I shall keep trying.

No comments: