Saturday, June 2, 2012

Wedding Bells

If you read the whole June 27 Gazette page I linked to in the outlaw-bikers story, you may have noticed its account of the wedding of Maude Shearer and Leslie Walter (referred to in the article as "Lester Walters"). She had been so quiet for so long that I forgot about her, paying more attention to the adventures of her brother, Howard, and her sister, Bliss Emery. But now, at about 32 years of age, she finally decided to tie the knot, and with no less than one of the Walter brothers. I had actually heard of their garage, but had no idea I could tie it to Ainsworth. You can see a picture of the garage on the home page of the Merrillville/Ross Township Historical Society; you can also page through their photo album for a slighter larger version of the same picture.

Just before Independence Day, another acquaintance of ours, Fred Rose, Jr., also slipped off to Crown Point to get married.

Rose-Maxwell marriage
(Click on image to enlarge)
From the Hobart News of July 3, 1919.


Rose-Maxwell marriage
(Click on image to enlarge)
From the Hobart Gazette of July 11, 1919.


I find in my notes only a few minor mentions of the Maxwell family of Deep River, which I suppose means they were generally quiet, well behaved and fortunate.

No comments: