Friday, February 24, 2012

What's the Point? (Random Old Photo)

The Point 1912
(Click on images to enlarge)

Another recent purchase. I do not know where "The Point" is, or was. My best guess is that the Point is the current location of Fred Rose Park. It's difficult to tell, with no structures in the background to orient oneself, but then the mere absence of structures tells you something, I suppose.

The sender was Louise Foreman, the recipients Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Harms. The 1910 Census shows a 13-year-old Louise Foreman living on her parents' farm in Porter County; that may be our girl. I believe her father, Henry Foreman, married Minnie Harms in 1896. The closest thing I can find to "Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Harms" in Logansport in 1910 is Charles W. and Cora Harms, a married couple in their 40s. I have not been able to connect any of these people with the Ainsworth Foremans or Harmses.

Here is Louise's message.

The Point 1912 verso

♦    ♦    ♦

[3/7/2014 update] Tim writes in:
Louise is my great-grandmother. She married Lloyd Van De Water. I think he lived in Gary at the time, but his family was from rural areas, I believe.
I know Louise as Grandma Happner. She had re-married Charles Happner after Lloyd died. She was the sweetest grandmother who made us "goodie bags" full of toys and treats. She also had a daschund named Tippy.
She died in the suburbs of Detroit.
And I may be mistaken about Louise's mother's maiden name being Harms.

Louise's first marriage, to "F. Vandewater" or "Water Floyd Van de" as it shows up in the Indiana Marriage Collection, took place in Lake County on January 8, 1916. The young couple lived in East Gary (1920 Census) before moving to Detroit (1930 Census). Beyond that I shall not trace them. Louise had nothing to do with Ainsworth, but she did have a dachshund named Tippy.

No comments: