Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hobart Then and Now: S.R. 51 at Route 6

Circa 1936 and 2010.

SR51andRoute6
SR51atRte62010
(Click on images to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


We are standing in the middle of State Road 51, looking north toward its junction with Route 6. Quite a difference between then and now!

The two nearest corners are now occupied by a gas station (on the left) and a Walgreen's (on the right). Before that White Castle went up on the northwest corner, a gas station lived there. I wonder if that corner had been continuously occupied by a gas station since the late 1920s?

4 comments:

Bonnie Jordan said...

My husband's aunt and uncle, Emily and Jack Powell, owned & operated a Sinclair station on that same corner in the 1960s. Not sure if it was the building pictured or if they built a new one. They previously had a Standard station on the southwest corner before they moved across the road.

I looked up the Isakson family and it referred to Clarence Gilbert Isakson, son of August Gilbert Isakson, born 11/18/1898, and died 6/6/77. I have known Clarence's family for many years and I clearly remember that day in June when we learned that he had been killed during a home invasion. His wife was also badly injured.

Janice said...

I hope you didn't have to dodge too many vehicles in order to the picture!

Ainsworthiana said...

Bonnie -- Very sad about Mr. Isakson. I didn't know about that.

Seems your husband's family was involved in several interesting enterprises around Hobart.

Janice -- That's why I went early on a Sunday morning to take that picture. Any other time, traffic would be way too heavy.

Mozart said...

Bonnie,

Mr. Isakson's daughter - Ilene - was my aunt (married to my mother's brother Robert Lindholm). I've been trying to find news reports of the murder but have run not found anything. I know that several years later the people who committed the crime were found but I don't know if they were convicted or what.

Do you have any further information?

please email me at barbhively@aol.com

Barbara