Friday, July 23, 2010

Advertising Like Crazy

Lee & Bruce just keep on advertising! I ought to have printed out some of the ads of competing plumbers, especially Paul Newman. The tone of his ads sounds like these new guys have him worried. He ran one to the effect of "I am not like a mushroom, popping up overnight and then gone the next day." Unfortunately for him, neither were Lee & Bruce.

Lee Bruce ad 9-5-1913
From the Hobart Gazette of Sept. 5, 1913.
(Click on images to enlarge)


(I like that United Doctors ad: "Married ladies must come with their husbands and minors with their parents.")

Lee Bruce ad 12-12-1913
From the Hobart Gazette of Dec. 12, 1913.

Lee Bruce ad 1-9-1914
From the Hobart Gazette of Jan. 9, 1914.

Lee Bruce ad 2-27-1914
From the Hobart Gazette of Feb. 27, 1914.

I know this is becoming the "Chas. A. Lee Blog" but I can't help it that Charles' life got so eventful right around the time that Ainsworth news dried up. Both the Gazette and the News have dropped their separate Ainsworth/Ross Township columns. Nowadays (circa 1913) an Ainsworth person pretty much has to die or be born in order to get into the paper. I hope this is only temporary. I seem to remember seeing 1920s papers with Ainsworth columns.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Well I don't know about the rest of your readers, but I'm enjoying not only my Grandfather's ads but the other pieces of news on the pages. (But I do enjoy the ones with drawings better!) They give an idea of Hobart at that time. I'm finding all the articles very entertaining, whether I've heard of the family or not!
(All the ads, by the way, are going into the Lee scrapbook.)

Ainsworthiana said...

Actually, I'm finding it all quite interesting, too. And I haven't heard any complaints from anyone else. I never realized the early-20th-century Hobart plumbing scene was so intense! :)