Monday, June 21, 2010

An Early Ainsworth Storekeeper

The Hobart News of January 23, 1913, reprinted an item from the Crown Point News, which was meant as an anecdote about current prices versus prices of 30 years previously, but its interest for me was that its pricing information came from the records of one Williams Woods, who allegedly "kept a store at Ainsworth about 30 years ago." Subtracting 30 years from 1913 would put us in the early 1880s.

A couple of things I'd like to know: whether "Woods" is a mistake for "Wood," i.e., the William H. Wood who later kept a store in Deepriver; and whether this early store was the same store later operated by W.O. Halsted and then William Raschka.

Another tidbit I hope to learn more about when I start on the 19th-century newspapers.

I don't know when that's going to happen. There's going to come a point, and I think it's going to be shortly after World War II, when everything going on in Ainsworth is going to be too depressingly modern to interest me. When I reach that point, I'll get on the WABAC machine and go read all those microfilms I should have started with, and how odd it will be, where I've seen people grow old and die, to find them young and healthy again, and where I've seen them come to bad ends, to find them in all unsuspecting innocence.

Source: "Northwestern Indiana News Notes." Hobart News 23 Jan. 1913.

2 comments:

Janice said...

I don't remember there being a town of Deep River. I remember the ruined mill which is now restored. Is there much remaining of the town?

Ainsworthiana said...

Well, as a town it was just slightly more impressive than Ainsworth, and (like Ainsworth) never incorporated. These days, aside from the mill and the little church, there's only perhaps three lovely old Victorian houses still standing. But I understand that at various times in the past it had a school, a general store, a post office, a cheese factory, a blacksmith shop, a shoe repair shop and a car dealership.