Saturday, November 7, 2009

Ruins of Ainsworth: Barbed Wire Fence

We're having a spell of nice weather, so I've been working outside several hours a day, clearing away brush, and particularly the horrible, horrible buckthorn that is trying to take over my land. I also mean to clear out, or at least thin, a line of overcrowded elms in my side yard that grew up along a barbed-wire fence.

I can find remains of that fence not only in my side yard but along the north line of my field, parallel with Ainsworth Road. In some places the barbed wire was supported by metal poles, in other places by heavy square wooden posts, some of which have collapsed onto the ground, while others are still half-standing, leaning at crazy angles. In the heavily overgrown areas, the strands of barbed wire lurk hidden in the brush, but I'd find them quickly enough if I tried to clear the area with my brush mower.

Here, a growing elm has begun to swallow up the barbed wire that was resting against its trunk.

BarbedWire
(Click on image to enlarge)

No comments: