Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lake County 1876

I have a single page from an atlas published in 1876. One side shows Lake County, the other side Porter County. I have scanned the Lake County side. It wouldn't all fit on the platen so I had to scan it in pieces.

Here is northern Lake County, including the Ainsworth area, which is not marked except for the little house icon I referred to in an earlier post and which I don't know the meaning of and I'm not going to pay $16.00 plus S&H on Amazon.com to buy a reproduction of this atlas in order to find out. Note the absence of the Grand Trunk Railroad. This part of the map includes a street map of Lowell.

Southern Lake County, not that anybody cares.

Street map of Hobart.

Street map of Crown Point.

Source: Baskin, Forster & Co., Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Indiana (Chicago, 1876).

No comments: